- The Breakfast Club, Inc., an African American breast cancer support group founded in 1997 by St. Louisian and breast cancer survivor Sherrill Jackson.
The Breakfast Club Inc. (BCI) began as a breast cancer support group serving primarily African American women residing in North St. Louis City and County. Over the years other programs have been implemented and the mission has broadened. Current mission is:To impact the St. Louis Metropolitan community through education, awareness, resources and support concerning breast health, breast cancer and breast cancer prevention and screening.
The Breakfast Club Inc. Goals are:
• To increase the rate of mammography screening, clinical breast exams and breast self-awareness among African American women residing in North St. Louis City and County.
• To decrease the incidence of late stage breast cancer in the target population.
• To increase the availability of breast cancer information, resources, navigation assistance and support to underserved women in the St. Louis community.
- The Black Women Breast Cancer Survivors Project, a community-based project that conducts programming and research at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. BWBCSP assists African-American women to navigate the hospital system, provide information regarding insurance - what is and is not covered. BWBCSP has completed two studies: One examined women’s experiences with breast cancer and the second looked at the quality of life after diagnosis.
UMSL also is sponsoring their second annual “Knowledge is Power” conference for the St. Louis community on Nov. 6.
- The Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine, an international leader in cancer treatment, research, prevention, education and community outreach for Missouri and beyond.
- The Mercy Breast Center is devoted exclusively to breast care, diagnosis and treatment. The Breast Center is available to all women who need routine screenings or further diagnostic procedures and treatments. We ensure the most thorough assessment, plus the convenience and peace-of-mind of coordinated care for diagnosis, treatment and counseling. On-site capabilities and services include screening and diagnostics in digital mammography, breast ultrasounds, stereotactic and ultrasound guided core biopsies, needle localizations, MRIs, mobile mammogrpahy services and education and support. The Breast Center is a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence recognized by the American College of Radiology.